Strictly speaking, February 14th doesn’t mean much to me. Even when I’ve been in relationships in the past I haven’t ever done anything huge for Valentine’s Day. There have been no romantic trips to Paris or expensive candlelit dinners or jewel encrusted gifts for me. When you’re in a relationship, Valentine’s Day just isn’t a big thing. Yet, being single on Valentine’s Day seems to suddenly mean that all the attention is on you. People want to know if you like anyone, if you’re seeing anyone, if you’re going to be making a move on someone. Thankfully, I think all the people who know me know that I’m pretty happy being single at the moment and I therefore haven’t been bombarded with these awkward questions. But, nevertheless, I thought it would be fitting to put together a quick guide to Valentine’s Day for us singletons. I mean, why not?
As a little gym freak, I’m going to have to start by saying that Valentine’s Day is the perfect day to go to the gym. Nobody will be there after work because everyone will be out at restaurants having dinner or a romantic night in. Or at least, I assume that they will be. Either way I just think that the gym is the best place to work on your self-perception and just basically make yourself feel better about you. When I go to the gym I honestly always feel strong, confident and self-assured. I mean, that’s probably why I take so many selfies there…
If you go on Valentine’s Day, you might want to wear something a little bit special. I finally cracked and purchased myself a pair of the Gymshark Ombre Seamless leggings – in pink obviously. I think that they are absolutely gorgeous. I mean you obviously don’t need to wear anything special to the gym, but I’m just saying that if there was ever a cliché day to wear pink ombre leggings to the gym, then it would be Valentine’s Day!
Now if you’re not feeling the gym, then why not grab a couple of friends and do something with them instead. I did a little bit of Googling to find some interesting locations and below I’ve put in links to some of my favourite ones. Go somewhere different, try something new and have a good time!
- The Zetter Townhouse – Clerkenwell
- Gordons Wine Bar – Embankment
- The Serpentine – Hyde Park
- Clos Maggiore – Covent Garden
- Peggy Porschen – Belgravia
I also just felt like doing a pinkish-gold eyeshadow look using the Nyx Ultimate Basics palette in warm neutrals. I mentioned it in my go-to make-up products post, but I didn’t actually show you what it looks like on. I threw this “look” together pretty quickly by blending a few of the deep pink/reds and oranges together and then using a gold pigment in the middle of my eye. I also put this together by adding to the make-up I already had on. In all honesty, I do prefer to wipe my face clean and start again but if you’re in a rush to get out the door tomorrow evening, then this might be an easier option for you. I just refreshed my face with a priming spray from Rimmel and powdered any oily areas.
I’ve also recently been testing out some new make-up and there are some standout products that I want to mention.
- First is the Maybelline True Match highlight in the shade Golden Glow. This is a liquid illuminator/highlight. You can use it either by mixing it in with your foundation or by applying directly to your cheekbones as a highlighter and blending with your fingers. I like it because it’s buildable, which is exactly what I want in a highlighter. Although the shade runs slightly icy on me, I can layer it up to have a highlight that is really blinding or one that’s just a subtle glow.
- Second is the Tarte 24 hour blush in the shade Blushing Bride. I cannot explain how incredible this blush is because it actually lasts all day! If there is one thing that is still on my face at the end of the day, it is this blush and I just can’t fault a product that does exactly what it says on the tin. It’s also a lovely wearable colour and it comes with a handy mirror!
- I bought the new Benefit Bad Gal Bang mascara on Saturday and from the very first swipe on my lashes, I was amazed. If you want to layer it up then you can obviously give yourself huge volume. But if you’re in a rush, then honestly one swipe is enough to give you amazing lashes.
- Bobbi Brown Skin Long-Wear Weightless Foundation is now my favourite foundation of all time. The colour is almost a perfect match for me, it’s so light on the skin and it has massively reduced how oily I get throughout the day.
- Finally, the NARS Power Matte Lip Pigment in the shade Under My Thumb is such a beautifully deep pink. Not everyone wants to wear a red lip, I much prefer a pink lip personally. This one is really comfortable to wear and it actually does glide on to your lips. You’ll also notice that the eyeshadow I’m wearing is nothing dramatic. I do feel a lot more comfortable wearing a bold lip than a dramatic eye, so if you feel the same then this is a great product for you.
- Friends with Benefits
- The Proposal
- Safe Haven
- The Notebook
- The Vampire Diaries
- Gossip Girl
- New Girl